Friday, November 5, 2010

Oak Park

Nov 5 - Friday
Today I am thankful for the time I spent living at Oak Park in Boise.  I met some wonderful people there.

Today, while I was in the temple, I ran into a couple that was in our ward in Boise over 10 years ago.  I wish I could remember their names, but I am horrible that way.  I did "talk" with them though, which was amazing because they are both deaf.  We had the deaf branch as part of our ward years ago.  I was able to talk with them in sign language and they understood me!!  It was a neat experience.

I also spent time this afternoon talking with a good friend, Crystal.  She lived by us in Boise and when we moved to Nampa she moved to the same neighborhood 6 months later.  I am so glad that I have had the opportunity to get to know her over the past 14 years.  She is going through some really rough times right now and has been diagnosed with 2, possibly 3 types of cancer.  She continues to take care of her family and to work overtime to bring in enough money to meet their needs.  She is an inspiration.

I learned so many life lessons at Oak Park.  I learned about being poor and humbling myself.  I learned that for every stereotypical welfare household there are also many welfare homes where the children are loved and cared for and the parents are amazing, wonderful, intelligent people who just happen to be living through a rough time at the moment.  I learned that some people will NEVER grow up.  I learned that when someone is hurting and can't fight back against the person who hurt them, they will often attack whoever is closest.  I learned that just because someone spreads nasty rumors about you, most people who matter won't believe them.  I learned that it's important to tell my story FIRST... instead of waiting for the rumor mill to stretch and distort the truth.  I learned that a family with nothing can be incredibly happy.  I learned that hot tubs and Haagen Daaz go great together.  I learned that 3 of my best friends in the whole world are amazing people and I will hold them in my heart forever!!
And I've learned to Keep Breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REFOCUS -– Finding Joy in times of trial and suffering through changing our FOCUS.

  (From a talk I was asked to give in my local congregation of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on Nov. 26, 2023.) My life, I...